2009/08/18

Trip to Japan, 1. The Flight

Los Angeles International Airport, entrance of runway 25R...
"Tower, Northwest 001 with you. Ready to takeoff. Request permission to takeoff Runway 25R"
"Northwest 001, please standby."
"Northwest 001, you may takeoff. Contact ATC at xxx.xx. Good day."

With an increase in thrust, a Northwest Airbus A330 airplane smoothly taxied into Runway 25R of Los Angeles International Airport, sped down the runway, gracefully lifted off, and opened the first page of my first trip to Japan...

The date was July 21, 2009, and I just purchased my ticket only a few days ago. This was going to be my first time standing on Japan, a country I've been wanting to visit since who knows when. The ticket purchasing part took longer than I expected, but good thing is that the price was also lower than I've expected. I'm pretty certain that it's linked to the swine flu. (No, not the delay in purchase part...) Although I originally hoped to take JAL flights, but hey, US$400+ difference in airfare, most sentient being would choose the NWA flights.

On board the airplane, I had an aisle seat. No complaint here, since I purchased my ticket late, but when the meal time came... My agent didn't request vegetarian meals for me..... F.i.n.e... Well, it's not like I am not a vegetarian, but there are times/situations where I have no choice except keep starved or hurt someone. Hence, whenever possible, I do prefer vegetarian over regular food. And since the food was already prepared, they certainly would throw the whole thing away even if I didn't touch it at all, which means w.a.s.t.e. Result: I emptied the whole plate...

On board the flight, two meals and one snack were served. What's special? Well, the first meal included shrimps... Gotta say that's the first time I see any shrimp at ~30,000 feet in the air. The snack was an ice cream sandwich, and there's another meal before the plane started to descend for landing. I don't think there's anything special about it, as I can't recall any of them. XD

The flight was a bit bumpy from time to time, but should be considered smooth overall. I watched Dragon Ballz and two other movies during the flight, and I had a short nap in between the two meals. Not long, but enough to take me through this flight.

Shortly after the second meal is completed, the plane started to descend. As the altitude decreased, I was getting more and more closer to Japan, and the next chapter is about to begin...

"Narita, this is Northwest 001, request permission to land."
"Northwest 001, cleared to land Runway A. Proceed to final approach accordingly. Contact ground at xxx.xx after landed. Good day."

No comments:

Post a Comment